Interesting idea. Definitely a motivation for most students!
- Hillsborough Community College will pay up to $1,800 in cash to students who make a C or higher in three semesters of math classes.
- Students also have the to win free textbooks.
- HCC funds part of this experiment with additional funding coming from a George Soros organization.
Florida community college is trying to inspire students to finish their degree by doling out up to $1,800 in cash to students who make a C or higher in three semesters of math courses.
The program, called Mathematic Access Scholarship Program (MAPS), has run at Hillsborough Community College (HCC) for the past three years and is spearheaded by Manpower Demonstration Research Corporation (MDRC).
“We hoped the incentives would inspire behaviors that would lead to increased student success.”
“What can I do with a degree in math?”
You’ve worked hard for that math degree. Now what? Sometimes, the choice of careers can seem endless. The most difficult part of a job search is starting it. This is where Great Jobs for Math Majors comes in. Designed to help you put your major to work, this handy guide covers the basics of a job search and provides detailed profiles of careers in math. From the worlds of finance and science to manufacturing and education, you’ll explore a variety of job options for math majors and determine the best fit for your personal, professional, and practical needs.
Do you want to be an actuary? Work in the banking industry? Program computers? In this updated edition, you’ll find:
- Job-search basics such as crafting résumés and writing cover letters
- Self-assessment exercises to help determine your professional fit
- Investigative tools to help you find the perfect job
- Networking tips to get your foot in the door before your résumé is even sent
- True tales from practicing professionals about everyday life on the job
- Current statistics on earnings, advancement, and the future of the profession
- Resources for further information, including journals, professional associations, and online resources