- Dijkstra, Edge Wyber (born 1930 Rotterdam)
- Goto is harmful
- Structures: sequence, selection, iteration
Three Programming Paradigms:
1. Structured Programming (1968 Dijkstra)
- Impose discipline on direct transfer of control aka “Goto“.
- “If/ then /else, do/while” control structures are structured.
2. Object-Oriented ‘OO’ (1966 Ole Johan Dahl & Kristen Nygaard)
- Impose discipline on Indirect transfer of control (polymorphism, ‘constructor‘ function of class, it’s local variables = instance variables).
OO = Combination of Data & Function.
3. Functional Programming (1958 John McCarthy’s LISP language, based on Math “Lambda Calculus” from Alonzo Church 1936).
- Impose discipline upon assignment (side effect, immutability of data, Referential Transparency).
4. Any more ?
All Programs can be constructed from just 3 structures (Böhm and Jacopini, 1966):
Sequence / Selection / Iteration.
Dijkstra’s Math Proofs for:
1. Sequence – by simple enumeration.
- Math Technique: trace the inputs…
View original post 72 more words