Recently I received an email from a reader (name removed for anonymity). Just posting here in case it is useful to other readers. Good luck for those interested in applying for the scholarship!
I am a 16-year old Malaysian student and I am interested in applying for the ASEAN scholarships for Malaysian Pre-University One Scholarships, yet I am lost as to how to prepare for the entrance tests(especially the mathematics test) and thought that i could ask you since I’ve frequently browsed your website for a while and have read that you’re experienced in the O’level and A’level fields of mathematics.
If you wouldn’t mind, I have a few questions to ask:
1. How should i prepare for the entrance tests?(as in what should i study/focus on for the Math entrance test)
2. Is it necessary for me to learn the SEAB A-levels/ JC syllabus? If yes, what textbooks would you recommend me buying in order to prepare for the exam?
3. What is the difference between IGCSE Additional Math syllabus(I’m in the IGCSE class in my school) and the Singapore O’level syllabus?(I’d like to know what I’d possibly be lacking in)
It would be most helpful if you could answer my questions. I hope to hear from you. Thank you!
Here are my answers:
Thanks for visiting my website.
I will try to answer your questions:
1. I think you should focus on the Additional math / Elementary math for O Levels.
2. I don’t think JC syllabus should be necessary as that is usually taught for 17-18 year old students, which should be beyond the scope of the pre-university exams.
3. Overall it should be the same, but there may be some small differences. You may check out this new syllabus: http://www.seab.gov.sg/content/syllabus/olevel/2017Syllabus/4047_2017.pdf
For example, for the Singapore syllabus, there is this sum of cubes/differences of cubes formula that is tested: https://mathtuition88.com/2014/10/27/sum-of-cubes-a-maths-tuition/
For practice questions, you may want to check out this set of papers (with solutions): https://sellfy.com/p/l4w2/
They are representative of what is tested in the Singapore A Maths syllabus.