Mr Wu is a patient and dedicated Maths tutor with more than 10 years of Mathematics tutoring experience. He specializes in Upper Secondary (A Maths/E Maths) and Junior College (H1/H2/H3) Maths tuition.
Credentials: RI alumnus, NUS 1st Class Honours in Mathematics
Taught students from: RI, NJC, ACJC, MGS, NYGH and more. (Testimonials)
In Singapore, Maths tuition is highly popular as Maths is one of the key subjects in the syllabus. Starting from PSLE Maths at the primary level, E Maths/A Maths/IP Maths at the secondary level, and finally H1/H2/H3 Maths at the Junior College Level. A strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for moving up the next level. An experienced Math tutor will be able to guide the student to master the concepts and techniques needed to do well in Mathematics at each stage.
Most students’ problems in Maths fall into these categories:
1) Lack of knowledge / experience (Solution: Work with an experienced Math tutor who will highlight what is important, and also practice the typical questions that will actually come out in the exam)
2) Carelessness (Solution: Learn tips to check their answers for mistakes)
3) Cannot finish paper (Solution: Learn tips, shortcuts to speed up their working)
4) Forget the formula / method of solving (Solution: learn tips and tricks to remember the formula)
5) School Exam is difficult: Top schools set their exam papers at a much higher level than the ‘O’ Levels or ‘A’ Levels. Even at the top IP schools or JCs, it is common to have 20%-50% of the class to fail the Math exam. Serious training and effort is needed to ace the internal school exams.
Reason 1 (Lack of knowledge) is the most fundamental, as students need to have exposure to the types of questions tested, rather than seeing them for the first time in the exam hall. Engaging a Math tutor will help to go through those essential topics and questions beforehand, which may not be taught in school at all. In school, teachers often have just enough time to cover the basics. What is actually tested is often much harder than what is taught in the school classroom.
Reasons 2-4 are also important as they cost many marks which are lost unnecessarily. Working on carelessness, speed and memory tips can easily boost 10 marks or more, raising your grade up one notch. There are special methods for checking for careless mistakes which are more effective than just checking through one’s working from start to end. Also, speed is not just writing faster, there are certain methodologies that enables students to solve a question in a fast and efficient manner.