I find that the above link by Quanta Magazine has the most detailed and educational write up about the 4 new Fields Medallists:
- Akshay Venkatesh, a former prodigy who struggled with the genius stereotype
- The 30-year-old math sensation Peter Scholze is now one of the youngest Fields medalists
- The mathematician Caucher Birkar was born on a subsistence farm and raised in the middle of the brutal war between Iran and Iraq.
- he mathematician Alessio Figalli is rarely in one place for very long. But his work has established the stability of everything from crystals to weather fronts by using concepts derived from Napoleonic fortifications.
- Also included is the theoretical computer scientist Constantinos Daskalakis, who has won the Rolf Nevanlinna Prize for explicating core questions in game theory and machine learning.